Students walking near Starbucks.

Step 1: Submit Your Application

Apply for admission as soon as you think about transferring to UB. It is best to file all application materials early in the semester preceding your intended transfer date. UB begins offering admission to transfer students in February for the fall semester and October for the spring semester.

When you apply, we will open a file in your name and keep you informed about the admissions process.

Apply Online

Applying online to UB is fast, easy and secure. Just follow the link to the SUNY application below. A $50 non-refundable fee is required.

The SUNY Application

The SUNY application allows students to apply to several SUNY institutions with one application. Transfer and Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) applicants must use the SUNY application.

Once you complete the SUNY online application, you can check its status here: Application Status.

To ensure timely progress toward graduation, transfer students who have completed (or are in the process of completing) 60 or more credits should select an intended major (and not “undecided/exploratory”). To see a list of all of UB’s academic programs, visit the Undergraduate Catalog, and then on your application select an intended major that interests you.

Please be aware that there are two SUNY Buffalo institutions listed on the SUNY Application. Be certain that you are selecting the University at Buffalo when you complete your forms, or your application might go to the wrong school. On the SUNY Application, the campus code for UB is "20."


UB is on a rolling admission. Therefore, we review applications as they are received. However, we do not guarantee a space in the transfer class or housing beyond May 1 for fall and Dec. 1 for spring. After these dates, admission is on a space-available basis.

SUNY Transfers

If you are transferring to UB from another SUNY institution, visit the SUNY Transfer Policies page to learn about SUNY rules, guidelines and procedures. You can view all of the SUNY transfer information, including SUNY transfer paths, in the Transfer Student section of

Spring Semester Transfers

Students who are transferring to UB for the spring semester and have already filed the FAFSA to receive financial aid for the fall semester at their current school should contact the Federal Processing Center to update the school information listed on the FAFSA.

To update the FAFSA, you will need to add “State University of New York at Buffalo” for the school name and the school code of 002837 (UB’s federal code). Updates may be made by telephone at 800-433-3243 or by visiting the FAFSA website.

Dual Admissions Students

Dual admissions programs help ensure a smooth transfer to UB by providing accurate information about meeting UB’s major requirements with transfer courses. If you are a student enrolled in a UB dual admissions program at one of the community colleges below, your transcripts will be sent to UB on your behalf, and you will not submit a UB application when you transfer. Instead, you will receive an Intent to Enroll (ITE) form in the semester prior to your transfer. When your completed ITE form is received by UB, you will receive notice of how to proceed with registration and orientation. To sign up for dual admission, contact the admissions office at any of these participating colleges:

  • Broome Community College
  • Erie Community College
  • Genesee Community College
  • Jamestown Community College
  • Monroe Community College
  • Niagara County Community College
  • Onondaga Community College

Last updated: August 17, 2016 2:40 pm EST